New Welfare State
INVEST aims at providing a new model for the welfare states that is more equal, better targeted to problem groups, more anticipatory as well as economically and socially sustainable.
Based on cutting-edge research on the conditions and mechanisms involved at different periods of development, INVEST will evaluate and develop various universal and targeted interventions to improve the efficiency of the current welfare state institutions at critical points of the early life course.
- Generate science from basic research to commercial applications
- Facilitate innovative collaboration between strong disciplines
- Improve the use of unique data
- Strengthen the scientific and social impact, and the visibility of the research
- Educate the next generation of welfare researchers
- Increase the well-being and skill development of children and youth
- Reduce the accumulation of disadvantages
- Enhance evidence based policy processes
- Strengthen the justice in society
- Improve social, economic and demographic sustainability
- Change the welfare state paradigm from compensation to prevention
- INVEST is a research Flagship of the the Academy of Finland
- The Director has overall responsibility for operations.
- INVEST has a Management Team, which consists of the Principal Investigators’ (PI) of the flagship. The Management Team enhances the operations of the flagship as a whole in accordance with INVEST’s objectives and strategy
- Research is organized as research groups, which are led by the PI’s.
- INVEST has a Steering Group nominated by the vice rector of the University of Turku. Steering group supports and guides the flagship management in its goals and objectives.
- INVEST has a Scientific Advisory Board nominated by the rector of the University of Turku. The Scientific Advisory Board supports the directors and the PIs of the INVEST Flagship in issues related to scientific activities. The Board also evaluates INVEST Flagship activities, makes initiatives and provides statements on INVEST’s scientific direction.
INVEST – Inequalities, Interventions, and New Welfare State
Flagship Project of the Finnish Academy, funding 8.3 M€ (2019-2022)